Safety remains our top priority throughout every job. In fact, providing a safe and injury-free environment is one of Shawmut’s core values. When it comes to safety, we have one rule: Make sure every single person who works with us, around us or for us is safe every day. That means everyone, from field personnel to our executive leadership team, is charged with promoting, ensuring, and driving a culture of safety for each other and the surrounding environment.
Highlights of our Safety:
- Our Insurance Experience Modification Rate of .67 is among the best in the country, demonstrating our dedication to providing a safe and injury-free environment for everyone on and around our jobsites.
- Every subcontractor is prequalified based on their safety program and record
- Everyone on a Shawmut site is required to attend our safety orientation including a safety video and review of site information, procedures, and emergency action plan
- On-site safety kickoff meetings are held at the start of every project with entire project team, including subcontractors, to go over site safety and expectations
- Every job is assigned a dedicated Shawmut Safety Manager
- A site-specific safety manual is developed for every job
- All Superintendents and Field Operations staff are 30-hour OSHA trained
- All Project Managers and Constructions Operations staff are at least 10-hour OSHA trained
- As a motivational incentive, we present safety awards to projects and individuals who demonstrate exceptional commitment to safety
- Shawmut holds an annual Safety Week, a series of mandatory company-wide events highlighting the importance of safety in everything we do
- Subcontractors are required to write a job safety analysis for all high-risk work
- Shawmut’s comprehensive safety manual is 100% accessible on our website
- Spot safety inspections are performed on all jobsites
- We enforce a zero-tolerance policy for unsafe practices
- In-house safety-steering committee made up of a cross functional team of employees that meet on a monthly basis to discuss the Shawmut safety program to ensure we are on track to a World Class Safety Organization.
We continually evaluate our program by looking at accomplishments as well as looking at areas we can implement to improve our safety management program.